Monday, March 4, 2013

Who I am


I know exactly who I am...

I, am Rosemary's granddaughter; the spitting image of my father, and when the day is done, my momma's still my biggest fan.  Sometimes, I'm clueless and I'm clumsy, but I've got friends that love me, and they know just where I stand.  It's all a part of me, and that's who I am.

ok, maybe that's who Jessica Andrews is...but change the grandma's name to Pearl or Leona and you've pretty much got me.



Seems to me that people are waiting until later in life to get married and have babies for one reason or another.  Not me.  I was a very young mother.  I was DONE having 4 kids (none of which are multiples) by age 27, which is before most of my friends started.  I think that throws people off.  Doesn't hurt that I wear pigtails from time to time...I'm young, so I think people are expecting me to be clueless all the time, maybe?  Perhaps not as good of a mom as someone who waited a little longer.  Maybe they think that I had babies instead of going to college?  Maybe they think I'm old, but I'm so into my looks and staying young-looking that I don't know what's going on with my kids?  I don't know, but I think I'm certainly defying stereotypes.  

So, my kids are awesome for sure.  I love them all.  The list of challenges will blow your mind.  In my house (counting just the 4 kids), we have aspergers, dyslexia x 2, a bleeding disorder, ADHD, congenital vision impairment, giftedness, celiac disease x 3, sensory processing dysfunction, and life threatening food allergies.  




And if you really want to hear something funny, I went to college for special ed.-specialized in sign language interpreting, but we don't have any deaf kids in our house.  While I do think that it was all part of His plan for me to fall in love with sign language and to work in special education to allow me an opportunity to sit "on the other side of the table", I wasn't paying enough attention.  I learn new things all the time.  And as a parent, you are never prepared to sit at that table-no matter how many times you've been there, no matter how well you know the players on the "other side", no matter how much research you've done.  And you're not prepared because you are a parent and you are speaking with emotion.  The school is a business, they are speaking with a bottom line and limited resources.


I have a post coming about all about advocacy....stay tuned for that...


I decided to start blogging because I have a lot to say, and it's really hard talking to people with typical children, when you really need to talk special needs.  You start in with all the educational jargon IEP, ETR, MFE, FAPE, and they shut down.  They get that glazed look in their eyes and you know that not only do they not understand a word you are saying, they don't really care to.

I'm excited to share what I have learned-what has worked and what hasn't-and I'm hoping to learn from other parents out there that are further along on this journey than I.



No comments:

Post a Comment