Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This gets me every time, too...

Photo: Just for laughs


So, food allergies.  They stink.  I hate that my kids have to deal with them.  But can I remain humble and say when it comes to food allergies, I'm really smart?  I know more than I ever wanted to...that's for sure.
Safest bet? Eat lunch at lunchtime.  Food belongs in the lunch room.  Kind of why they have one.
Last year, my son was in a food free classroom and maybe that spoiled me a little. I see the "peanut free" signs everywhere in the school-don't know why the peanuts get all the press. A life-threatening food allergy is a life threatening food allergy. Why would you protect a kid who is allergic to one thing, but not one who is allergic to something else? I don't get it, I don't like it. 
So, here we go...our poor children go from 9:05, when they arrive at school all the way until 11:45 before they can eat lunch. 
"We need snack!" declares the teacher. Oh no, we really don't. How many kids eat a mid-morning snack when they are at home during the summer? My guess is not many. 
So when I tell the teacher it's not a good idea to have allergens in the classroom due to many allergies (including my child's) being contact, she says "let's try it and see how it goes". 
Um, let's not! You see, if your little experiment goes poorly, my kid ends up in the hospital, or worse.
But this teacher was a little older and set in her snacky ways. I wanted to ask again to make the classroom food free, but decided to compromise, suggesting that we allow snack, but only single-ingredient whole fruits or vegetables. 
The next question I was met with..."isn't that a little extreme? Not all the kids have food allergies."
Well, my kids isn't allergic to peanuts, but out of respect for the kids who are, I am more than willing to send in peanut-free snacks. Don't you think others parents would be willing to accommodate all the allergies as opposed to just the allergies of one child? 
"But not all kids LIKE fruits and vegetables." Well, if they are hungry, they will eat them. If they choose not to eat fruits and vegetables, they can wait the whole two-and-a-half hours to eat and have their choice of any food in the whole wide world. 
I understand the whole world doesn't revolve around my kid, but he's seven. When I'm not there to look out for him, I can't count on him to think not to touch the table until it has been wiped down. I can't expect a teacher, who is in charge of 25+ kids have the time to have all the kids wash their hands and desks everyday after snack. 
I don't know how strictly this rule is being enforced, but to ensure I'm not a worried momma all day long, I have put this in writing and pretend they are enforcing it strictly. 
Now don't get me wrong, I don't think the whole world should be allergy-friendly because that's just not realistic; however, I do think that if I'm not there to guide and protect him against potential dangers, and the teacher doesn't have time to, I think have an allergen free classroom is reasonable. 
Any experiences with food allergies and your school? Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment